This is a moist and rich pound cake recipe. Try to sneak a slice when it’s still warm…it’s heavenly!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp warm water
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a bundt or ring cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until fully combined.
- Turn the mixer on low and add dry mixture and buttermilk in batches, alternating between the two.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, oil and warm water.
- Add half of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Spread alternating spoonfuls of the batters into the cake pan. Use a thin knife to swirl the batters together.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar just before serving.