This is a hearty and delicious bread flavoured with cinnamon and ginger. My kids love to have this for breakfast…try a slice with a little peanut butter spread on top. I use pure maple syrup to sweeten this bread, with just a small amount of brown sugar to round things out. The maple syrup adds a subtle sweetness to this loaf and makes it very moist. I also like to use spelt flour in this recipe because I’ve found it adds a lighter texture to cakes, as compared to whole wheat flour. It also has a bit of a nuttier flavour, which works well in this recipe. The other great thing about this bread is that it freezes extremely well. Just wrap the cooled loaves in plastic wrap and place in a resealable freezer bag. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease two 8 x 4 loaf pans with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fold in the zucchini, carrots and coconut. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely before removing from pans.
*Yield: Two 8×4 loaves