If Charlie Hunnam was a cookie this would be it. These are the perfect cross between a soft-baked chocolate chip cookie and an ooey-gooey brownie. The sea salt and espresso in this recipe enhance the deep chocolate flavour and strike the perfect balance of sweetness with just a touch of salty. This is one sexy cookie!
(P.S. If you don’t know who Charlie Hunnam is, do yourself a favour and Google image him. You’re welcome.)
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease baking sheets with non-stick spray.
- Using a double boiler, melt the unsweetened chocolate, butter and one cup of the chocolate chips. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs, sugar and espresso powder until very light and fluffy. This may take several minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and very slowly pour in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for at least 15 minutes. This is a relatively soft cookie dough and it will be very difficult to form into balls unless it has been chilled. Do not skip this step!
- Roll chilled dough into balls and place at least two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Top with a few chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.