I have a confession to make… I really don’t like zucchini. I’ve always found them to be pretty bland and watery. But that’s exactly what makes zucchini the perfect addition to baked goods. This is a veggie that will melt right into anything you bake, adding some much-needed moisture to breads and brownies, without adding any weird, vegetable-y flavour to your sweets. Zucchini is also packed with vitamins and plenty of fiber. I like to use both green and yellow zucchini in this recipe because it adds a pretty pop of colour.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium yellow zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease two 8×4 loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and sugars.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the grated zucchini and pistachios.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean. Cool for about 20 minutes before removing from pan. This zucchini bread freezes extremely well and will keep for several months in the freezer.
*Yield: Two 8×4 loaves