It’s tomato season, and when you’ve had your fill of tomato salad, this recipe is a great way to use cherry tomatoes. I love casseroles like this one because they can be made in advance, they’re easy to prepare and they can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is a summer version of my Spinach and Ham Strata. I like to use goat cheese in this recipe, but it’s also very tasty with feta cheese or mozzarella.
- 9 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 8 -10 slices of your favourite crusty bread, cubed (about 8 cups)
- Generously grease an 8×11 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and romano cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/3 of the cubed bread into the prepared pan. Layer 1/3 of the tomatoes over the bread. Sprinkle 1/3 of the goat cheese and basil over the tomatoes. Repeat layers two more times.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients.
- Cover the casserole and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Remove casserole from fridge a half hour before baking. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake casserole, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.