This colourful vanilla-flavoured cake is the easiest birthday cake you’ll ever make! What I love about this recipe is that it is super moist, thanks to the addition of sour cream, and it does not require a mixer to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sprinkles + more for decorating
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Mix until fully combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the sprinkles. The batter will be fairly thick.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool loaf completely before glazing.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together all the glaze ingredients until smooth. If the glaze is too runny, add a little powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk.
- Drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake and decorate with additional sprinkles.