Once the summer has run it’s course and there are no more zucchini left in the garden for Our Favourite Zucchini Bread, it’s time to start baking with apples! This apple loaf cake is super easy to prepare and makes a great breakfast. I like to use a combo of whole wheat and all-purpose flours in this cake, but you can use entirely all-purpose flour if you like. The honey in this recipe adds a really wonderful flavour and the nuts add great texture. I like to drizzle a sweet cinnamon glaze over this bread once it has cooled, but it’s just as delicious without the glaze. This apple bread also freezes extremely well!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 apples, peeled and grated (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Cinnamon Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsps milk
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease two 8×4 loaf pans with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flours, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, honey and vanilla.
- Stir in the grated apples.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Stir in the chopped nuts (if using.)
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each loaf comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks before drizzling with glaze (if using.)
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon and milk. If the glaze is too thin, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk. Drizzle glaze over completely cooled loaves.
*Yield: Two 8×4 inch loaves