These muffins are sweetened with pure maple syrup and just a little sugar. Maple extract adds rich flavour, with a touch of cinnamon for warmth and spice. The crunchy walnut topping adds texture to this super moist muffin. If you don’t have maple extract, vanilla extract works just fine.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- two eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yoghurt (low fat is fine)
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp maple extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, sour cream, maple syrup, sugar and maple extract. Mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan…don’t be afraid to fill the liners right to the top if you want large muffins!
- In a small bowl, stir together all the topping ingredients. Spoon an equal amount of topping over each muffin.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
*Yield: 12 large muffins