Butter cake is a simple, old-fashioned dessert that’s a cross between pound cake and sponge cake. It’s the perfect vehicle for fresh berries and whipped cream. It is important to use good quality butter and vanilla in this recipe because that’s where all the flavour comes from. The addition of buttermilk and oil ensures a soft and tender crumb.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a bundt or ring cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand held mixer, cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Mix until pale and fluffy. This should take about two minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Beat in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour to the creamed mixture in batches alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.