These fruit-filled muffins are a great way to make use of the rhubarb growing tall in our gardens at the tail-end of spring — also the time when the first strawberries of the season show up in the local markets. Greek yoghurt makes these muffins super tender and a hint of almond flavouring adds a delicate sweetness. You can easily replace the Greek yoghurt with sour cream if you prefer. I like to top these with sliced almonds and a sprinkle of granulated sugar to create a crunchy muffin top.
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Check out my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp and Strawberry Cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 3/4 cup rhubarb, diced
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt (fat free is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- In large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, yoghurt, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. You can sprinkle the tops of the muffins with some sliced almonds and a little granulated sugar for texture and crunch.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
*Yield: 12 large muffins
3 Comments Add yours
These look so tasty! It’s so great to have rhubarb again. 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people
Hi Sara! Thanks for the inspiration. It’s August and I STILL have rhubarb; I also have sourdough discard, so for a twist, I used a little less yoghurt and used a cup of my discard, also a little less sugar. Delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ll have to try that! Sounds delicious!