If you’re looking for a delicious chocolate cake for beginner bakers — this is it. This easy-to-make cake is moist and rich and made even more decadent topped with a chocolatey buttercream frosting.
For the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or hot water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an eight-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix until fully combined.
- Slowly pour in the hot coffee or water and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely on wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting: Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water) until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, whip the butter until light and fluffy. This should take about five minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl often.
- Add in the whipping cream and beat until fully incorporated.
- Next, slowly pour in the melted chocolate chips. Beat frosting on high speed until light and fluffy — about eight to ten minutes.
- Use an offset spatula to frost cooled cake.