Nothing makes me happier than a dessert recipe that’s simple, requires few dishes and gadgets to make, and involves chocolate. This one-bowl, moist chocolate cake has become my go-to recipe when company’s coming or if I just need chocolate cake in a hurry. I like to drizzle a rich chocolate glaze over this cake once it has cooled, but it tastes just as delicious without it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, warm
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- 3-4 tsp milk
- sprinkles, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10-inch Bundt or ring cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients. Mix until batter is smooth and fully-combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa, corn syrup and milk. Mix until the glaze is smooth. If the glaze is too thin, add a little extra sugar. If it is too thick, add a bit more milk. Drizzle over fully-cooled cake. Allow glaze to set for about an hour before serving.