This delicious version of banana bread includes sticky sweet maple syrup and pecans. A crunchy pecan topping adds great texture. I like to drizzle this loaf cake with a simple icing, but it’s just as delicious without it.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek Yoghurt (low fat is fine)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2- 3 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, maple syrup, oil, vanilla and bananas until smooth and blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Prepare the topping: stir together the pecans and maple syrup. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake for about one hour, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool completely before drizzling with icing.
- For the icing: stir together the icing sugar and the milk until smooth. If mixture is too thin, add a little more icing sugar. If it’s too thick, thin it out with a touch of milk. Drizzle icing over the cooled cake.