I have been making these chocolate cupcakes forever. My children request them every year for their birthdays. What I love about this recipe is that it requires only one bowl and it’s pretty foolproof. The frosting I sometimes use for this recipe comes from the fine folks at Betty Crocker. Yes, I use store-bought frosting sometimes and I LOVE it! But, if I’m feeling fancy, I’ll make my own. The chocolate buttercream I make for these cupcakes is rich, decadent and very easy to whip up!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm water
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and warm water. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter until it is light and nearly doubled in volume. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar, one half cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix until fully combined.
*Yield: About 18 cupcakes
4 Comments Add yours
Hope there are enough for me! They look amazing, as usual.
LikeLiked by 1 person
❤️ Thanks Val!