Banana bread is a staple in our house, mainly because I always buy too many bananas and we never manage to finish the entire bunch before they get too ripe to eat. I’ve tried many banana bread recipes over the years and this is a mash up (see what I did there) of the best of all those recipes. My kids love this banana bread, even my oldest (who says he hates bananas.)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- [Optional] Add ins: 1/2 cup chocolate chips or walnuts
- [Optional] Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling: 1 tbsp coarse sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the oil and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the yoghurt (or sour cream), bananas and add-ins (if using.)
- Spread batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. I like to sprinkle my banana bread with a little cinnamon sugar before baking.
- Let loaf cool completely before removing from pan.
*Yield: Approximately 10 servings