Italy is one of the biggest producers of hazelnuts in the world. It’s no wonder this nut features quite prominently in many Italian desserts. This recipe is a hazelnut version of my Italian Almond Cookies. With their crunchy exterior and soft, tender centre, these cookies are perfect with your afternoon espresso.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp hazelnut extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups hazelnut flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- whole hazelnuts, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease baking sheets with non stick spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, hazelnut flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugars and oil.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Next, add the hazelnut extract.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined. This is a relatively soft cookie dough.
- Form the dough into balls and roll into the powdered sugar. Place about two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Press a hazelnut into the centre of each cookie.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to one week. These hazelnut cookies freeze extremely well. They can be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
*Yield: Approximately 30 cookies