I love sheet cakes…they’re easy to make, delicious and perfect for any celebration. This vanilla sheet cake has a tender crumb and a rich vanilla flavour. I like to finish it off with a whipped vanilla buttercream…sprinkles are optional but I definitely wouldn’t leave them out!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp milk (if needed)
- sprinkles, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, whip together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. This should take about two minutes.
- Next, add the butter, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy and nearly doubled in volume. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the vanilla extract, salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. If the frosting is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk. If it is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar. Spread frosting over completely cooled cake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to three days or in the fridge for up to five days. The frosted cake can also be frozen. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.