Sheet cakes are awesome because they are so easy to make and they don’t require any fancy gadgets or skills. This Chocolate Sheet Cake is moist and rich and topped with a light and fluffy chocolate frosting. It’s the easiest cake you’ll ever make!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm brewed coffee
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13 inch sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bow, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour in the hot coffee and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool cake on wire rack.
- For the frosting: in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, whip the butter until light and fluffy and almost doubled in volume. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add in the vanilla, heavy cream and cocoa powder. Mix until combined.
- Next, slowly add in the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting on completely cooled cake.