This traditional rustic Italian cake can be whipped up easily with pantry ingredients and little fuss. The ricotta in this recipe creates a tender, hearty crumb while the lemon adds brightness and flavour. I like to dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving — but it’s just as delicious without it.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest from one large lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta, at room temperature
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously grease a nine-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs. Add the oil and mix well.
- Next, add in the ricotta and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust cooled cake with powdered sugar, if desired.