If you love lemon-flavoured desserts, this loaf cake will not disappoint. The Greek yoghurt in this recipe creates a super moist cake which is then brushed with a bright lemon syrup as soon as it comes out of the oven. It’s a lemon-lover’s dream!
For the cake:
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- zest from 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
For the glaze:
- juice from two large lemons
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, oil, eggs and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup of sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the lemon syrup: in a small saucepan stir together the lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced by half and has the consistency of a light syrup.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, use a wooden skewer or toothpick to poke several holes in the top of the cake. Pour the lemon syrup over the cake. Allow the cake to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.