The delicate flavours of pear and almond come together perfectly in this delicious snacking cake. This is a dense, moist cake that is studded with pieces of sweet, ripe pears. If you like a more intense almond flavour, you can replace the vanilla extract with almond extract. The sliced pears and slivered almond that decorate the top of this cake add great taste and texture.
If you’re looking for more almond-flavoured sweets, check out my Italian Almond Cookies!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- slivered almonds (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a nine-inch round baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy and pale in colour. This should take about five minutes.
- Add the oil, milk and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold in the chopped pears.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and arrange the slice pears on top of the batter. Sprinkle the slivered almonds over top.
- Bake cake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the cake once it has cooled.