This easy to make summer cake is filled with sweet blueberries and bright lemon zest. The buttermilk in this recipe adds a little tang and lots of moisture to the crumb. I like to top this cake with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 3/4 buttermilk
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (plus more for topping)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a nine-inch round baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy and pale in colour. This should take about five minutes.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon zest and mix until fully incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle a few blueberries on top of the batter.
- Bake cake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the cake once it has cooled.