These chewy fall-flavoured cookies are filled with sweet apples and warm cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It’s important to squeeze the excess liquid from the grated apples before adding them to the batter to prevent the cookies from getting soggy. You can also add walnuts or pecans to this recipe for extra texture and crunch.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled, grated apple, squeezed dry
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the grated apple.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to roll dough into balls and place on prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are just lightly browned and set. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
Yield: Approximately 18-20 cookies.