Crisps, crumbles and cobblers are some of my favourite desserts. I love them because they are so easy to make and a great way to use in-season fruit. Although they do all contain fresh fruit, there is a difference between them…crisps contain oats while crumbles do not. Cobblers, on the other hand, are topped with biscuit or pie dough. They’re all delicious….especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- juice and zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crust and topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats (not instant oats)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350F and coat a 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice and zest. Simmer over medium heat until fruit is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the sugar and cornstarch. Stir continuously for about one minute, until mixture has thickened. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- For the crust: using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, mix together all the crust ingredients. Beat on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Press half the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Spread the fruit filling over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining half of the crust mixture on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the crisp is lightly golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.